Farm Management Canada (FMC) and the Canadian Association of Diploma in Agriculture Programs (CADAP) are proud to announce the launch of the 2018-19 Excellence Award for Agricultural Students. The award was designed to encourage students to improve their critical thinking, communication and leadership skills through a national competition.
How to Apply
FMC and CADAP are collecting submissions from agricultural students across Canada and awards the winner(s) with scholarships towards furthering their education in agriculture. First place stands to win $1,500!
The award is designed to help students develop their communication skills by having the opportunity to voice their opinion on a subject related to farm management.
This year, students were asked to submit a multimedia presentation, a video, a Twitter chat, a blog or a Wiki, responding to the following question:
How can agriculture bridge the increasing rural and urban divide?
Students have a variety of options to choose from when deciding the best way to participate. Students may answer the question by creating and submitting a:
- 3 to 5 minute Multimedia Presentation (with audio) or Video
- 30 to 60 minute Twitter Chat (Twitter discussion on the topic held at a specific time with a specific hashtag)
- Blog or Wiki
Selection of winners
A panel selected a winner based on the following criteria:
- Quality of the presentation, whether it be audio-video or written
- Quality of the content
- Presentation skills and/or written skills
- Logic and coherent flow of ideas that are relevant to the theme of this year’s competition
- Ability to reach the desired audience
- Compliance with eligibility criteria
- Points will be deducted for going over or under the allotted time (3-5 minutes for Multimedia or Video and 30 to 60 minutes for Twitter Chats)
- Applicants must be at least 16 years of age as of 31 December 2018, and they must be enrolled in an agriculture program at a recognized post secondary educational institution at the college or undergraduate level;
- Applicants must complete the application form included, approved by a professor or teacher from the educational institution;
- Applicants must provide proof of enrollment at an educational institution in a field related to agriculture or to agri food (you can complete an application form even if you have submitted an application for admission and have not yet received a reply. However, if your application is accepted, you will need to provide a copy of your acceptance letter);
- Applicants must reside in Canada
Deadline for receipt of entries
The deadline for completed application is May 3, 2019.